EWTN Catholic Q&A
Question from Mathew Sijo Thomas on 12-07-2012:

"God Is Great" Hi,

I am a 24 year old boy from India and a follower of Christianity. My sub-division/caste/community in Christian is MARTHOMA (an Indian based Syrian Christian community formed in the name of the St. Thomas who introduced Jesus to Indians). I am in love with a Roman Catholic girl from India. We both love each other and want to get married. The only hindrance in our marriage is our Christian sub-caste (i.e. I am a Marthomite and she is a Roman Catholic girl). Now we both need to know what are the procedures for inter-Christian community marriage with respect to Marthoma and Roman Catholic. Whom we have to approach regarding this issue as my parents are also willing for the same. We both need your valuable advices and helpful measures to solve this issue and please guide us regarding how to get permission for this marriage from Roman Catholic Christian community. We seek forward your positive feedback regarding this issue and we are grateful to you for your positive response.

Thanking you; Yours faithfully; Mathew Sijo Thomas. God bless you!

Answer by David Gregson on 04-11-2014:

Since the Marthoma Church is not in communion with the Catholic Church, a Catholic girl would have to obtain a dispensation from her bishop to allow marriage to a member of your church. She should speak to her priest. Presumably you would speak to your pastor as well to learn what permissions on your may be required.