Guardian Angel
Question from Michelle on 04-12-2005:

My son, 9 years old, asked if he prayed if the Holy Fathers Guardian Angel could be added to his own. We are in the practice of sending our angels to the aid of others or to Adoration for us and so on, and my son thought it would be nice to have a second angel at his command. Just wondering

Answer by Colin B. Donovan, STL on 04-12-2005:

First, the Guardian Angels are not our butlers. They are not at our command. Far from it. They should be our friends, our prayer partners and our companions. Of him Scripture says,

Exodus 23:20-22 "See, I am sending an angel before you, to guard you on the way and bring you to the place I have prepared. [21] Be attentive to him and heed his voice. Do not rebel against him, for he will not forgive your sin. My authority resides in him. [22] If you heed his voice and carry out all I tell you, I will be an enemy to your enemies and a foe to your foes.

As for the Holy Father's Angel, we may certainly pray to him, as wemay privately pray to John Paul II. [We may not publicly -- in church, in the Mass and Office etc., pray TO anyone before their beatification.] As Pope John XXIII encouraged, we should pray to the angels of others, that our meetings with them go well, that they heed the voice of God and grow closer to Him and so on.