Marraige
Question from Beje on 04-02-2005:

I am a fairly new catholic.I was wondering why the pope cannot be married? Can he love?

Answer by David Gregson on 04-12-2005:

The Pope can't be married because he's a bishop, and Catholic bishops can't be married (nor can priests be married in the Latin, i.e., western, Church), because we observe the teaching of Our Lord and St. Paul that "the unmarried man is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to please the Lord; but the married man is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please his wife, and his interests are divided" (1 Cor 7:32-34; cf. Matt. 19:12). Consider the pontificate of John Paul II. Could he have accomplished all that he did for the Lord and still had time to care for a wife?

Of course a Pope can love, but with the love exemplified by Our Lord, who was unmarried. He said, "Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13).