Important
Question from Leonia Wilson on 05-30-2002:

Found: Key Vatican Document on Ordination of Homosexuals 5/30/02

BOSTON, May 29, 02 (CWNews.com) A key 1961 Vatican document on the ordination of homosexuals which had previously been thought to be unavailable to the public has been discovered by an American journalist.

John Vennari of Catholic Family News discovered that the document had been published, in its entirety, in a 1963 volume of the Canon Law Digest.

The document entitled "Careful Selection and Training of Candidates for the States of Perfection and Sacred Orders" was promulgated by the Vatican in February 1961. It has been mentioned frequently in connection with the discussion of sexual abuse by American priests.

However, despite the keen public interest in the Vatican's policy regarding the ordination of homosexual men, the papal nuncio in the United States had announced that the 1961 was not available to lay people. In response to a request from Roman Catholic Faithful, asking for a copy of the document, Archbishop Gabriel Montalvo had written: "Kindly be advised that the document, which you request, was reserved for use of the bishops."

The document provides a clear statement of the Vatican's policy opposing the ordination of men with homosexual tendencies. The relevant section reads: Advancement to religious vows and ordination should be barred to those who are afflicted with evil tendencies to homosexuality or pederasty, since for them the common life and the priestly ministry would constitute serious dangers."

This article courtesy of Catholic World News. To subscribe or for further information, contact subs@cwnews.com or visit www.cwnews.com.

Answer by Dr. Warren Carroll on 06-03-2002:

Several people have informed me of this important document, which I am very glad to know about. Thank you for the website reference. - Dr. Carroll