Previous Question

Orthodoxy
Question from David on 9/9/2018:

I am 60 years old and have been Catholic my whole life. I have grown tired of the watered down Catholic liturgy with the cocktail lounge music, communion in the hands, women lectors and women on tha altar, and the confusion by Pope Francis as to marriage, divorce, and homosexuality. And don’t even get me started on the sex abuse by even Bishops and Cardinals, and the cover up. I have begun to wonder whether all of this is a sign that perhaps the Catholic religion is not the true religion. Over the past few years I have become increasingly interested in Orthodoxy, especially the Divine Liturgy. I want to speak to an Orthodox priest but am wondering if that would be considered a mortal sin.

Answer by Robert Klesko on 9/10/2018:

Thank you for the question. First, it is never a sin to speak to an Orthodox priest. I have several who are friends and I always ask for their prayers. I understand the draw to Orthodoxy, especially in these turbulent times. We should not think, however, that Orthodoxy is without its issues, as many Orthodox would certainly admit. Orthodoxy does have the beautiful Divine Liturgy, but so do the Eastern Catholic Churches.

I think what is especially needed is for us to become better catechized. At the end of the day, it is the truth that matters. Leaders in the Church come and go but the truth of the Faith remains. I would encourage you to read the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It is a pretty balanced synthesis of Catholic teaching, East and West. It also does a pretty good job targeting the historic areas of disagreement between Catholics and Orthodox. I think that is a good place to start. You could also take a look at the Catechism of the Ukrainian Catholic Church entitled "Christ Our Pascha" for a specifically Eastern perspective. You can find it for free online.

As I said, I think if you pray and learn as much as you can about your Catholic faith, you will quickly be able to distinguish the truth from mere passing innovation. Keep the faith and do not become discouraged.

I hope this helps! Prayers and Praise be Jesus Christ!

Previous Question