Infertility
Question from Kim on 2/21/2018:

My husband and I have been try to have a second child for 6 years with no success. I've tried medications (Western and Eastern), tests, and even NFP. I've prayed to God, saints, Mother Mary and novenas. I'm open to accepting "no" as an answer from God but how do I know what His answer is? I feel no answer or signs at all. When should I give up on praying for an answer? When should I stop asking for more children? Pls share your thoughts, especially teachings from the Church. Thank you.

Kim

I asked Dr. Anthony Dardano to respond to your question and this is his reply

Infertility can be one of the most challenging situations we face. Since you did conceive 6 years ago, at that time your overall reproductive function was healthy. Therefore any medical situation since then could be the root of the problem. For example I have seen women post ruptured appendicitis or diverticulitis develop adhesions that have scarred the tubes closed. There are many possibilities, thyroid, diabetes, etc., too numerous to mention here which can be factors as well. You do need an infertility workup, in concert with the church, for peace of mind. I would recommend calling the Pope Paul the Sixth Infertility center at Creighton University for advice. It might even be worth the trip going out to see them As for prayer, I only have one piece of advice. Never underestimate the power of prayer. All prayers are answered eventually. If after continual, faithful and sincere prayer, you do not conceive, then God's answer was a "No". But as long as the desire to conceive again is there, keep on praying. I too will pray for you.

Anthony N Dardano, MD, FACS, FACOG