Proof of a soul
Question from Christina Riker on 8/27/2017:

My son James asked me how can we know for sure that humans have souls. How can that be proven. I said I don't know. Can you help me answer that question.

CHristina

Catholics United for the Faith published an excellent article on the question of ensoulment. Here are a couple of quotes from it and the link to it:

St. Basil the Great, writing in the fourth century, puts the ensoulment issue in proper perspective: “The hairsplitting difference between formed and unformed [ensouled and unensouled fetus] makes no difference to us. Whoever deliberately commits abortion is subject to the penalty for homicide.”[

and

Finally, one may wonder why the Church had to rely on biological developments to learn about man’s ensoulment, when she always taught that Jesus Christ the God-man was both fully God and fully man from the moment of His Incarnation in the womb of the Blessed Mother. The simple answer was that Christ revealed the truth about His Incarnation and miraculous conception to the Church, yet he left us to utilize our God- given faculty of intelligence to understand human conception. Revelation is proper to God; scientific advancement is proper to man. Through our assimilation of the two, we raise our intellect to the noble heights for which it was given.

SEE THE ARTICLE: http://www.cuf.org/2004/03/canonical-misconception-pope-pius-ix- and-the-churchs-teaching-on-abortion/

Judie