Aquinas and the Names of God
Question from Joseph on 4/17/2017:

Dr. Geraghty, I'm having a tough time with Aquinas and Question 13 of the First Part of the Summa. Especially when he gets to Article 5. What exactly does Aquinas mean when he asks whether what is said of God and of creatures is univocally predicated of them? Also, I don't really understand what he means by the differences between univocal, equivocal, and analogous. I think that this refers to the difference between the essence of God and the essence of Man in both Aquinas and Aristotle, but I'm having a very tough time wrapping my head around this whole question, and this article in particular. My professor has explained this a few times but I'm still not really getting it.

Thank you so much in advance for helping me understand this part of the Summa.

Dear Joseph,

Keep trying to understand the terms univocal, equivocal, and analogy. You will get it if you keep trying.