Matthew Kelly
Question from kathleen on 6/14/2015:

Dr. Geraghty: This may be off topic but I would like to know what you think of Matthew Kelly. His books and other materials - CD's and DVD's are all over our parishes. Even Fr. Mitch Pacwa had Mr. Kelly on his Live Show in July of 2014 on EWTN. His book Rediscover Catholicism has some major flaws I think. While the book leading up to chapters 19 and 20 are all very Catholic these two chapters talk about everyone receiving the Holy Eucharist when they attend Mass, and chapter 20 - advocating that the Church should be decentralized. Would someone comment and check into this. Also, somewhere else Mr. Kelly refers and advocates Marianne Williamson - a New Ager??? Matthew Kelly has caught on like wildfire and I think it is dangerous. If a catechetical program is needed in our parishes, why not Symbolon? Symbolon is very faithful to the teachings of the Church. I am not sure about Matthew Kelly. Also, his Dynamic Catholic enterprise is very profitable. Check charity navigator for more details on the financials. Do we have a ministry here, or a business???

Dear Kathleen,

I don't know anything about Mathew Kelly. But if Fr. Pacwa had him on TV, I trust that Kelly is quite orthodox. Concerning the two points you mentioned. Everybody who goes to mass should receive Holy Communion IF THEY HAVE SEEN TO IT THAT THEY ARE IN THE STATE OF GRACE. You can desire to see the Church decentralized without attacking the authority of the Pope and the Bishops. How this is to be done is open to investigation. Pope Francis is in the process of doing this. Lastly, there is a danger when a spiritual enterprise makes a great deal of money. But Mother Angelica could not have succeeded unless she got a great deal of money to start EWTN. There is still the need for a great deal of money because EWTN has about 300 full time employees.