Funeral/cremation
Question from Robert R. Hernandez on 5/27/2013:

I'm making my funeral arrangements. I have elected to be cremated for financial reasons. And I chose to have a memorial mass no body present. The ashes in an urn will be presented to a family member. The Rosary will be prayed before the mass. My wish is that my ashes be scattered in the ocean or scattered on a mountain. Does this pose a problem to the Church?

Robert

No problem. See this statement from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

2301 Autopsies can be morally permitted for legal inquests or scientific research. The free gift of organs after death is legitimate and can be meritorious.

The Church permits cremation, provided that it does not demonstrate a denial of faith in the resurrection of the body.

But the Church does not permit the scattering of ashes. Burial must take place.