Health Care
Question from Frank V. on 8/24/2009:

Dear Judie, I hope with all the negative voices on this, it may be revised. My one dissapointment with your appearance on "The World Over" was that you didn't get the opportunity to give your suggestions for true reform. I used your suggestions when I wrote to my reps. When possible it is always best to offer an alternative, especially one that would work. There is one thing I forgot about and it seems that it is never considered by the people who speak for the bishops. That is the principle of subsidiary that the lowest level can do better than the higher level of control. A good acticle on this and on the Health care system on Britain can be found on www.catholicexchange.com.

Thank you, God bless you,

Frank V.

Dear Frank,

Indeed, that is so. And as the Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church, Section 166, says (http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/justpeace/documents/rc_pc_justpeace_doc_20060526_compendio-dott-soc_en.html)

166. The demands of the common good are dependent on the social conditions of each historical period and are strictly connected to respect for and the integral promotion of the person and his fundamental rights[349]. These demands concern above all the commitment to peace, the organization of the State's powers, a sound juridical system, the protection of the environment, and the provision of essential services to all, some of which are at the same time human rights: food, housing, work, education and access to culture, transportation, basic health care, the freedom of communication and expression, and the protection of religious freedom[350]. Nor must one forget the contribution that every nation is required in duty to make towards a true worldwide cooperation for the common good of the whole of humanity and for future generations also[351].

The teaching is not that a state or federal government should be controlling or dictating health care for those in need. For as the compendium teaches, in section 351:

“The action of the State and of other public authorities must be consistent with the principle of subsidiarity and create situations favorable to the free exercise of economic activity. It must also be inspired by the principle of solidarity and establish limits for the autonomy of the parties in order to defend those who are weaker.”