The "Purpose Driven Life " doctrine
Question from MARY on 8/22/2006:

Dear Sirs,

I have a copy of the book "Purpose Driven Life" which seems to be the big spiritual wonder of the times and many people I know think it is wonderful, but I have trouble when I read it because while somethings seem OK others do not. When I hear the author speak on TV he was saying God doesn't care about your parent...whether married, not marrried, whatever, God just needs them for the DNA that brings YOU into the world because of His purpose for you.

Now...do we believe that every person is pre-ordained to exist? When people are conceived in situations outside of moral guidelines I know they are innocent themselves, but was the sin pre-ordained so they could exist? Does God just work with our decisions as they happen so conceptions occue out of His Love in that momemt even if the procreative act is less than perfect? I don't think you can ever argue that sinful acts are pre-ordianed or predestined, or can you?

Some people are obviously predestined to exist, but are we all? I am very interested in what the church does teach on this. I always wondered if God wanted me from all eternity...or if He wanted me at that momentin time because the opportunity for "me" happened.

If you base the reason for existence on 'Purpose", isn't that less than basing the reason for existence on just pure love? Isn't it rather a "works" teaching...something Protestants have always accused Catholics of? Does God create us for what we can do for Him or simply because He loved the very thought of a certain person..unique in their thoughts, feelings, ways, being....unique in the way they were able to express His love in their being and presence first of all, and of course in their work and purpose as well...but not primarily.

I hope this is not too confusing to understand what I am trying to say...

Mary

Hi Mary,

This is faily good discription of the "Purpose Driven Life" and critique from the Catholic perspective:

http://www.catholic.com/library/purgatory.asp

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.