Gospel of Mark
Question from Dave on 4/6/2006:

Hello Father,

Mark is so short and everything he says is of value. My family was talking about some of Christ's healings, when he admonishes the healed to "go, and tell no one". Why does Jesus ask this of them, and what is the significance of their disobedience? On the surface I see why...Jesus is early in his ministry, and wants to keep things quiet for the time being. However, if I were healed miraculously, I would have a hard time keeping quiet. Is there more to this admonishment?

Thanks in advance, thanks for your online ministry, and thanks for your service to our servicemen and women.

Regards, Dave

There may be multiple reasons for this command, which modern scholars ofter refer to as "The Messianic Secret"

1. Because our Lord did not want to be perceived primarily as a wonder worker, thereby giving the false impression that the Kingdom of God was a here and now, heaven on earth type kingdom

2. Out of humility, to teach humility to his Apostles and disciples

3. For practical reasons, as crowds often became so great that the ministry of the Lord was impeded

4. The Lord did not want faith that was primarily based upon miracles and wonders

As to disobedience, we can say that the individual sinned but good still came of it.

Thanks,