Adultery?
Question from Jasmin T. on 10/14/2005:

I have a friend who is currently in a relationship with a guy who is married by church. He has been separated from his wife for a couple of years and has a child with her. Although, they are currently seeking to get the marriage annuled, isn't it wrong for my friend to be in a relationship with this guy? I mean in God's eyes he is still married to his wife. Is my friend considered an adulterer?

Answer by David Gregson on 10/27/2005:

Until his annulment goes through, or his wife dies, the man is still married in the eyes of the Church. That means, if your friend is in a sexual relationship with him, she is committing adultery. But even if the annulment does go through, a sexual relationship would still be sinful until she marries him.