Primitive Catholic/Roman Catholic
Question from Terri on 12/1/2004:

This question is directed to Mr. Flummerfelt-

I read with interest the information about the Hospital Priest that Fred was talking about. I find myself in almost a reverse situation, though.

I am a Primitive Catholic who had to relocate because of my job. There is no Primitive Catholic parish in my community - the nearest congregation is about 5 hours away in southern Tennessee. When I moved from Texas, my pastor told me that I could approach a Roman Catholic priest about recieving Communion and going to confession under a provision in RC Canon Law, but I am a bit nervous about doing this.

Was my priest in Texas right? Can I be permitted to recieve the Sacrament in a Roman Catholic Church, at least for the time that I am unable to get to a Church of our own Communion? On average, my work schedule allows me to go to the Parish in Tennessee once every two and a half months.

Thanks, Terri

Answer by Robert J. Flummerfelt, J.C.L. on 12/1/2004:

Hi Terri,

Thanks for your email. From what I have learned anecdotally and from the internet it appears that you may receive Holy Communion, penance and anointing of the sick from a Catholic priest in accord with canon 844, 3 which reads, "Catholic ministers may lawfully administer the sacraments of penance, the Eucharist and anointing of the sick to members of the eastern Churches not in full communion with the Catholic Church, if they spontaneously ask for them and are properly disposed. The same applies to members of other Churches which the Apostolic See judges to be in the same position as the aforesaid eastern Churches so far as the sacraments are concerned."

Peace, Bob