Missing Mass Occasionally
Question from Louise Dubos on 5/12/2001:

Recently in confession I was told by a priest that occasionally missing mass was not a mortal sin as long as it was not made a habit of. I have been told this by 3 separate parishes now. Of the three parishes, 2 were priests that told me this. One said something about the bishop of our community having made this acceptable. Is this true? And if so what happens to me if I occasionally miss mass and have been given wrong information by a priest? I am from Michigan. Is there such a law in effect where occasionally missing mass is no longer a mortal sin? Thank you

Answer by Fr.Stephen F. Torraco on 5/12/2001:

It is clearly stated in paragraph 2181 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church that the Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. "For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor. THOSE WHO DELIBERATELY FAIL IN THIS OBLIGATION COMMIT A GRAVE SIN."