No children???
Question from Tom Knutson on 4/2/2001:

Dear Father,

Is it possible that NFP could be used by a couple who has serious reasons for the entirety of their marriage to avoid having children? If so, how can that be reconciled with the "procreative aspect" of marriage and the part of the Wedding Liturgy where the priest says, "Will you accept all children lovingly as a gift from God?" I guess I always thought because children were so essential to a marriage that a Catholic couple always had to have at least one. I know that isn't a great procreative mentality, but that's what I thought. Please explain this to me. Also, would a marriage like this even be valid if they wanted to exclude, for extreme and grave reasons, children entirely from their marital union?

Tom

Answer by Fr.Stephen F. Torraco on 4/2/2001:

Serious reasons for not having children even indefinitely can emerge in a marriage unexpectedly. Discerning such serious reasons out of a marital spirituality of generosity (and in so doing, living out the way of the cross)is different from determining from the start, out of selfish reasons, not ever to have children. The first approach is in harmony with the procreative mentality, while the second approach is of the contraceptive mentality.