Conscience
Question from Don on 3/21/2001:

Father Torraco. Thank you for answering my questions in this forum. I have been reading these fora for only three months, yet have been learning a great deal.

Concerning conscience, I have been laboring under a misconception my entire life. That misconception has been that my conscience is already formed and does NOT need any more forming.

In two posts (2-7-01 and 1-5-01) in your forum, you answered questions having to do with one's conscience. I have just reread them and will show them below in an abbreviated and edited fashion.

To follow one's conscience means to follow a conscience that is correctly informed and normed by the Church's Magesterium. In other words, "following your conscience" doesn't mean that you make up your own morality as you go along. Rather, it means that you abide by the natural law and the Church's Magisterium. We have the duty to be as correctly informed in conscience as possible. If conscience is not correctly informed by choice or by neglect, we are responsible for those forms of ignorance, and we will be judged for that.

Is the above a fair summary concerning conscience? Thank you. Don

Answer by Fr.Stephen F. Torraco on 3/21/2001:

Your summary is correct! Conscience, when properly formed and informed, is the Voice of TRUTH, WHO is CHRIST. For indeed, conscience is the very IMAGE of the SON in us. All the more reason that we see to it that it is properly formed and informed.