Conyers apparition
Question from Oscar on 3/13/2001:

Has there been any decision from the church on the reported apparitions of Mary in Conyers Georgia?

Thank you,

Oscar

Answer by Bill Bilton on 3/13/2001:

In March 1992, the then Archbishop of Atlanta, the Most Rev. James P. Lyke, OFM, issued a letter addressed to all the bishops of the U.S. concerning the activities and trips taking place to Conyers. In his letter, he stated:

It is my considered judgment that the authenticity of these alleged apparitions is in grave doubt. Certainly, the welfare of the local Church dictates that I take some further action at least to discourage these pilgrimages and to regulate liturgical practices within my jurisdiction.

Accordingly, I ask your assistance in two ways: i) Would you please convey to your priests (or others as you think appropriate) my wishes that pilgrimages to Conyers not be organized. It is especially problematic when these are promoted from the pulpit. ii) Would you please do what you can to convey to your priests my express directive that no Eucharistic celebration is to take place at the site of the alleged apparitions. I want the priests who visit the area to understand clearly that this is not a request but an explicit directive in accordance with the provisions of Canon 838, #3.

In June 1994, the Most Rev. John F. Donoghue, Archbishop of Atlanta, issued a letter concerning the alleged apparitions at the farm of Nancy Fowler in Conyers. In his letter, Archbishop Donoghue repeated the two official restrictions that had been issued by Archbishop Lyke two years earlier.

In no way do any of us doubt the sincerity of the pilgrims who go to Conyers. God honors the simple faith and trust of those who gather to worship Him and to honor His Blessed Mother. He reaches out to them with love and tenderness; this account s for the many people who claim to have received graces and blessings during their visits.

I am not aware of any change in the above.