Ecuminism: Is there a danger?
Question from Eileen on 11/14/2000:

I have been recently plagued by a nagging feeling that something is not right with the push for ecuminism. Possibly my feelings are due to the fact that, for the last couple of years, I have been studying the global governance system being set up by the 18 cooperating UN agencies (in fact a UN conference in the Netherlands (the Hague) is in session right now).

In studying this development, I have learned that intrinsic to the one world gov't is a "spirituality" component, a "global" religion. In fact, Mikail Gorbachev is a key figure in the movement (his off-shoot organization is called United Religions Organization) and he makes no secret of his commitment to eradicating the Judeo-Christian worldview and supplanting it with a "gaia" type paganism (Earth worship) combined with humanism. Other key figures in this ecuminical movement are the Episcopal Church (Rev Swing of Grace Cathedral in San Francisco) , the World Council of Churches, and Maurice Strong (of Colorado). It seems that the new global govt cannot work unless the world citizens are atheist, and not allegiant to God.

My fear is that, as we see the Holy Father attempting to bring unity to the various world religions, is the Catholic Church in any way a player in this evil movement (with masonry at its roots) to create a global church? Is this the ultimate outcome of the political machinations of Vatican II?

Or could it be that, even though the modernists within the Church would like to involve the Catholic Church in this diabolical agenda, the Holy Father is not submitting to them and has only good and holy intentions with regard to reaching out to fellow Christians and/or God-centered faiths.

I hope you don't think I am being too controversial in this post. I simply feel anxious about it and am seeking some comfort, I guess.

Ecumenism is applied today to both what is legitimate and that which is not, in seeking unity in religion. The New Testament--and Old Testament prophetic writings--teach us that God intends there to be only one Covenant, one Mediator, and one Church. That Church, in its fullness and perfection, is what we often refer to as the Catholic Church. The recent document by the Vatican, approved by the Pope, "Dominus Iesus" unambiguously affirms Jesus Christ as the one Mediator and the Catholic Church as the one true Church. In light of this recent declaration and much else which has been written by the Church and popes, rest assured that the Holy Father is not compromising the integrity of the Church in ecumenical gestures. However, that is not to say that others who act in the name of the Church are necessarily authentic to a true ecumenism, which does not compromise truth or the integrity of the Faith. Individuals or groups which are not firm in non-negotiable principles of the Faith may compromise such matters, and do more against the integrity of the Church than move matters ahead. But we must not allow these to jeopardize what is legitimate in this matter. Trust the Pope in the area of ecumenism; the Lord does lead him in a special way and I believe that this Holy Father is so solid in his theological thinking and dedication to the Church as established by Jesus Christ that he will not mislead us. A world religion as well as world economies and armies may be in the works and there are signs already of such, but you can bet that while there may be a lukewarm or renegade component of Catholics involved in such a project, the Church Herself will not be swept away by a false religion is not the one holy Catholic Church.

Thanks, Eileen