History of RCIA and general history of the Church
Question from Vivian V on 7/6/2001:

Dear Dr. Carroll: Thank you for having your question bin available today! I would like for you to provide some references, please. I'm interested in knowing about the history of RCIA instruction in America, and if there is one good (short?) general book on the history of the Catholic Church--or perhaps encyclopedia articles, etc. I have access to several university libraries in my area. If possible, could you create a short list of your favorites? (recommended reading material or other media) Thank you for your assistance and for your contributions to this forum. Vivian

Answer by Dr. Warren Carroll on 7/7/2001:

Become familiar with that best of all Catholic sources, the old Catholic Encyclopedia, online at www.newadvent.org/cathen/a.htm. For RCIA, since it has developed more recently, see the new Catholic Encyclopedia, available in most libraries (though I do not recommend it for most subjects, because some of its articles are in my opinion tainted with the Modernist heresy). On the history of the Church, I have so far written four volumes. You really cannot write a satisfactory one-volume history of the Church; the subject is too vast. My history is called A HISTORY OF CHRISTENDOM and has extensive bibliographies. You can probably find it in your university library; if not, it is available from Christendom Press in Front Royal, Virginia by calling toll-free 1-800-698-6649, or by inter-library loan. The individual volume titles are THE FOUNDING OF CHRISTENDOM, THE BUILDING OF CHRISTENDOM, THE GLORY OF CHRISTENDOM, and THE CLEAVING OF CHRISTENDOM. It goes up to 1661. Two more volumes will complete it, if God keeps me here long enough to finish it. - Dr. Carroll