The Winnipeg Statement
Question from Michael Saint on 9/5/2001:

In 1968, the Canadian bishops voted 94 to 7 to accept what was called the infamous "Winnipeg Statement", which essentially dissented from Humanae Vitae and declared that contraception is a matter of conscience. Thirty three years later, the bishops are no better. Their social justice wing, Development and Peace, gave $140 000 to the World March of Women, a feminist group that is pro-abortion. The Canadian Conference of Canadian Bishops and the Catholic Women's League both supported a march, saying that they were only supporting the good aims of the March, and not the bad. There was a great lashback from loyal Catholics. The bishops put their tails between their legs, but there are not enough loyal Catholics in this country to really make them sweat.

The Winnipeg Statement was talked about much this weekend at the Marian Eucharistic Congress in Winnipeg, Manitoba, after which the Mexican priest, Father Pablo Strauss, wrote and signed a declaration that we were hereby dissenting from the dissident Winnipeg Statement (it is probably a good thing that the bishop of Winnipeg decided to "go fishing" rather than attend the Congress--no, he was nowhere to be seen. This is the same bishop that was heard to say, in response to a challenge that he was not loyal to the Magisterium, "G** damn it, I am the Magisterium!"). When one of our Bishops suggested that the Winnipeg Statement be rescinded some time ago, only one other bishop supported him. We have a long ways to go.

My question is, did any other conference of bishops openly dissent from Humanae Vitae, or just the Canadian bishops?

Answer by Dr. Warren Carroll on 9/5/2001:

I am not aware that any other national hishops' conference did that. Rather than re-fighting the battle by trying to get the Winnipeg statement rescinded, it is probably better just to stand strongly with the Pope now and trust in his leadership to make the Church better. Because of their pride, most men (even, unfortunately some bishopd) cannot bear to admit they are wrong. It is usually better not to try to force them to do so, particularly if they are now showing some improvement. The whole trend in the Church today is away from the kind of dissent that flourished in the time of "Humanae vitae," thanks be to God. - Dr. Carroll