Dating the Gospels
Question from Brian Szuter on 1/15/2002:

My textbook for my college religion course on the Origins of Christianity and the New Testament is "The New Testament A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings" by Bart D. Ehrman. On page 43 it reads:

"In addition, most historians think that Mark was the first of our Gospels to be written, sometime between the mid 60s to early 70s. Matthew and Luke were probably produced some ten or fifteen years later, perhaps around 80 or 85. John was written perhaps ten years after that, in 90 or 95. These are necessarily rough estimates, but almost all scholars agree within a few years."

Do you agree with this assertion? If not, what are some good sources to look at?

Thanks in advance and God Bless.

Answer by Dr. Warren Carroll on 1/15/2002:

Definitely not! Scripture scholars are changing, thank God; your text is out of date. For different views, see my THE FOUNDING OF CHRISTENDOM, which you may obtain from Christendom Press in Front Royal, Virginia by calling toll-free 1-800-698-6649, or at your local library by inter-library loan; the works of Dr. Scott Hahn and his student Tim Gray, which you may find in the catalog of St. Joseph Communications, online at www.saintjoe.com; and John Robinson, REDATING THE NEW TESTAMENT, which you may also obtain at your local library by inter-library loan. I date the Gospels of Matthew and Mark in the 40's A.D., that of Luke in the 50's, and that of John in the 60's. A recently found papyrus fragment confirms the Gospel of Mark as having been written in the 40's. - Dr. Carroll