Jewish New Testament Commentary
Question from Frank Hanincik on 3/25/2002:

Dear Father Echert,

Recently I came a cross a book listed on amazon.com called "Jewish New Testament Commentary : A Companion Volume to the Jewish New Testament" by David H. Stern. Mr. Stern is a Messianic Jew and in this book he comments on the verses of the New Testament from a Jewish perspective. For example, he talks about what it meant for a Jewish couple to be betrothed, what the word "Adonai" means etc.

I wonder if you are familiar with this book and if you would reccomend it. (amazon.com has sample pages on their web site.) If not can you reccomend a book that would let Christians know about the Jewish context of the New Testament, that is customs followed at the time, beliefs and practices of the people Jesus would have associated with etc?

Thanks very much, Frank

I have used this work on occasion and found it helpful. And while I do not subscribe to all its interpretation and the author is a bit protective of the Jewish claim to "Israel" as fundamentally a Jewish reality, it has provided me some insights from a believing Jewish perspective. So it may be worth purchasing, for those interested in this perspective, with the caveat that it is not Catholic and not without error.

Thanks, Frank