21 or 22 sui juris Eastern Catholic Churches
Question from Amado Guerrero on 9/27/2002:

Dear Anthony:

First, please accept my thanks for your insightful answers to questions which, sometimes, involved us, Latins.

My predicament is in your recent statement that the number of Eastern Churches in communion with Rome is at 21.

I have always followed the enumeration by EWTN and count the sui juris Eastern Catholic Churches to 22, as listed by Colin B. Donovan, STL, at:

http://www.ewtn.com/expert/expertfaqframe.asp?source=/vexperts/conference.htm

I would appreciate your clarification.

Answer by Anthony Dragani on 9/27/2002:

Amado,

Good question. The lists that I have relied on enumerate 21 Eastern Catholic Churches. The discrepancy between these lists and Mr. Donovan's list is that he also mentions a Czech Greek Catholic Church that was organized into a jurisdiction in 1996. The book that I primarily rely on in such matters, "Eastern Christian Churches" by Fr. Ron Roberson, doesn't mentioned the existence of this Church. This book was updated in 2000, so it is fairly current, but not infallible.

Perhaps one of our readers has more information on this question? Is there a sui iurus Czech Church, or is this eparchy part of another sui iurus Church?

God Bless, Anthony