St. Christopher
Question from D. Jarvis on 4/1/2003:

I am not quite sure if this is the correct forum, but I do hope that my question will be answered. I was speaking to a friend the other day about the decanonization of various saints. We both wondered how and why saints are decanonized, specifically St Christoper. I looked him up on the internet and found only a few documents that say he was decanonized, one of which said that it was done almost 30 years ago. If this is true, why was I taught about him in school? It was only 10 years ago that I was in a Catholic school, shouldn't my religion teachers know whether or not a saint is a saint? Thank you in advance for a promt answer D. Jarvis

In recent decades, the Church has withdrawn formal recognition of some saints, lacking sufficient evidence to have certitude about their status in eternity or even their existence, in some cases. The Church is not declaring that these are necessarily not saints, but that under the current standards for verification of sainthood and what is known, there is insufficient evidence to make a definitive statement of sainthood. I, however, continue to honor and seek the intercession of such saints, including Saint Christopher, trusting that no sincere prayer offered by one in grace goes unanswered. And I continue to give out Saint Christopher medals to others, for their protection.

Thanks, D. Jarvis

WHAT'S NEW - EWTN MOBI - GENERAL - RELIGIOUS CATALOGUE - PILGRIMAGES - PRESS ROOM - ESPAOL