Tubal Ligation
Question from Anonymous on 9/15/2008:

Hi: I have a situation and need some advice. My wife is seeking to have her tubes tied. She is in her upper 40's and she says here Dr.'s are recommending that she not become pregnant due to her stomach conditions, etc. She is not Catholic but I am. I want nothing to do with the procedure and have always asked that she not do it. I am the major breadwinner and would have to pay for the operation above what the insurance does not pay, which I have refused to so far. If I do not back her up our marriage will be severly damaged and could end. I don't want that becuase we have two kids now and it would be hard on all. Should I be more supportive and assist with her choice or follow what my conscience is saying is wrong?

Regards,

J

Dear Anonymous

I sent your question to Anthony Dardano, M.D. and following is his reply:

As you well know, tubal ligation (sterilization) is forbidden by the church Not only is it permanently contraceptive, it also falls under the category of a "mutilation" procedure. It then follows that there are no circumstances, medical, financial, social, emotional, etc., which can justify it. As might be expected, Catholic hospitals do not allow the procedure to be performed in their institutions. Therefore you are correct in that you may not give your approval or financial support. This would be direct cooperation and equally sinful. You must continue to voice your firm disapproval of the procedure. If after all your honest attempts to change her mind fail, she alone is responsible for the decision, and your conscience should be clear. Prayer and compassion are key elements here, as she as well as you is undergoing an emotional struggle. My prayers are with you and your wife for a morally acceptable solution to this dilemma.

Anthony N. Dardano, M.D.