”VATICAN INSIDER” GUESTS: MARTIN AND MILLER OF THE FOCUS MINISTRYI just learned that a technical problem has prevented the airing today of my interview with the new Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans, Patriarch Louis Raphael I Sako. That will air in the future but this weekend Vatican Insider will re-air my conversation with Curtis Martin and Craig Miller of FOCUS, the Federiation of Catholic University Students.
In an amazing coincidence, I did get a letter today from Patriarch Louis Raphael I (pictured below). He is back in northern Iraq, in Erbil-Kirkuk but soon moves to the patriarch's residence in Baghdad. He said, "there is a lot of work and many challenges. Pray for me." And that we can do!
HHS PROPOSAL DOES NOT ADDRESS BISHOPS’ CONCERNS
Last Friday, February 1 the HHS proposed yet another compromise on the so-called HHS Mandate in an effort to address the concerns of religious organizations that object to its policy requiring health insurance plans to cover contraceptives for women at no charge. Thursday, February 7 Cardinal Timothy Dolan, president of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, and the USCCB issued statements after the USCCB had a chance to review last week’s lengthy new proposal.
The USCCB response starts: “The February 1 Notice of Proposed Rulemaking from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services related to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) shows some movement by the Administration but falls short of addressing U.S. bishops’ concerns.”
The statement notes that Cardinal Dolan “listed three key areas of concern: the narrow understanding of a religious ministry; compelling church ministries to fund and facilitate services such as contraceptives, including abortion-inducing drugs, and sterilization that violate Catholic teaching; and disregard of the conscience rights of for-profit business owners. These are the same concerns articulated by the USCCB Administrative Committee in its March 2012 statement, United for Religious Freedom. Cardinal Dolan said the new proposal seemed to address one part of the church’s concern over the definition of a church ministry but stressed that “the Administration’s proposal maintains its inaccurate distinction among religious ministries. “It appears to offer second-class status to our first-class institutions in Catholic health care, Catholic education and Catholic charities. HHS offers what it calls an ‘accommodation’ rather than accepting the fact that these ministries are integral to our church and worthy of the same exemption as our Catholic churches.”
Here is a link to the February 7 USCCB statement, explaining how and why the new HHS proposals do not meet the concerns of the Bishops and religious organizations: http://www.usccb.org/news/2013/13-037.cfm
ORDER OF MALTA MARKS 900 YEARS
An estimated 4,000 Knights and Dames of Malta have converged on Rome for the weeklong celebrations marking the 900th anniversary of the papal bull that gave official recognition of the hospitaller Order. The bull, Pie Postulatio Voluntatis was signed by Pope Pasquale II on February 15, 1113.
Tomorrow morning, Knights and Dames and volunteers of the Supreme Military Order of Malta from around the world will attend mass in St. Peter’s Basilica, presided over by those present, including Grand Master Fra’ Matthew Festing, leaders in the Order and numerous civil, religious and diplomatic authorities.
Pope Benedict will arrive in the basilica at the end of Mass to greet officials and members of the Order of Malta.
Write to Joan at:
joansrome@ewtn.com
CLICK HERE FOR
PRACTICAL INFORMATION ON VISITING THE VATICAN.
View Joan's videos at :
www.youtube.com/joansrome