On Sunday, 1 May 2011, Pope Benedict XVI declared his predecessor, John Paul II, Blessed, in a ceremony attended by more than a million of the faithful. These are texts associated with the Beatification.
1. Cardinal Agostino Vallini - Vigil of Prayer: Beatification of John Paul II
On 30 April 2011, at the Circus Maximus, Cardinal Agostino Vallini, Cardinal Vicar for the Diocese of Rome, delivered this address during the Vigil for the Beatification of Pope John Paul II.
2. Cardinal Agostino Vallini - Request for the Beatification of John Paul II
Following the penitential act of the Mass of Beatification, Cardinal Agostino Vallini, Vicar General of the Pontiff for the Diocese of Rome, joined Benedict XVI, and asked that the beatification of the Servant of God, John Paul II, might proceed.
3. John Paul II's Biography in Beatification Liturgy
In the program distributed in St. Peter's Square for the Mass of beatification of Pope John Paul II (1 May 2011), a short biography of the Polish Pontiff was included.
4. Pope Benedict XVI - Homily: Beatification of John Paul II
In his homily in the Mass for the Beatification of his predecessor, 1 May 2011, Pope Benedict XVI thanked God for "the gift of having worked for many years with Blessed Pope John Paul II."
5. Pope Benedict XVI - Regina Coeli: Beatification of John Paul II
On 1 May 2011, following the Mass in which Pope Benedict XVI beatified John Paul II, he led the assembly in praying the Regina Coeli and greeted the English-speaking pilgrims.
6. Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone - Mass of Thanksgiving for the Beatification
Here is a ZENIT translation of the homily given by Benedict XVI's secretary of state, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, on 2 May 2011, at a Mass of thanksgiving for the beatification of Pope John Paul II.