|1998: The Year
of the Holy Spirit
The theme of the second year of preparation points
to the fact that the mystery of the Incarnation was brought about by the Holy
Spirit. This can be called its "pneumatological aspect".
Luke 1:35 And the angel said to her in reply, "The
Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God.
The Holy Spirit is the Person-Gift, the Person-love
within the Trinity, the uncreated Gift who is the source of every gift. In
the fullness of time the Spirit brought about the Incarnation of
the Eternal Word. Just as Mary conceived in the Spirit, the Church
must prepare for the Jubilee in the Spirit.
Among the themes to guide the Church in this year the Holy Father
- a renewed appreciation of the presence and activity of the Holy Spirit in the Sacraments, esp. Confirmation, as well as,
- the variety of charisms, roles, and ministries which He inspires
for the good of the Church
- the Spirit as the principal agent of the New Evangelization, the One who
builds up the Kingdom until it is fully realized at the end of time
- a new appreciation of that Hope which encourages the Christian not to
lose sight of the final goal. Christians should renew their hope in
the definite coming of Jesus Christ [an article of the Creed since the 4th
- unity as the fruit of the Spiritís activity. He calls to awareness of
our responsibilities in this regard.
- Mary as a Model of those who entrust themselves to God, she who conceived
"by the power of the Holy Spirit"
2000: The Great Jubilee -
Year of the Holy Spirit